I just found out in an email of all things, what a way to hear. Mike Conley, wheelie king, frontman for the punk band MIA, owner of the popular Avalon Bar in Costa Mesa, father of three, and genuine nice guy died this morning. I have no other details as of now but I will post them as I hear. Please keep his family in your prayers!
Photo from OC Weekly article.
It only seemed like yesterday that I saw Mike at Meatball's movie premier. I didn't even get the chance to say "Hi." Life is so unpredictable that way though and weeks before we were eating with friends and chatting it up at Crab Cooker in Newport and then Taco Mesa in Costa Mesa, Mike's favorite restaurant.
Mike was always so polite, so easygoing. He would always say, "How's it going Slim?" or "Man I haven't seen you in a while...what are you up to?". Mike always cared for those around him and will be sorely missed. My sincerest condolences go out to his wife and three daughters at this time of loss!
Mike Conley - from Murder in a Foreign Place album - 1984
Conley crowd surfering in MIA - 1984
MIA "Murder in a Foreign Place" second pressing with blue letters and back cover. 1st pressing was red! Such a great album! Mike you will be missed dearly!
Second from the left!
Mike, you will be deeply missed, but never forgotten!
In honor of Mike Conley's life please send me your best photos so I can post them here. Anything will do but something current would be nice! Also, no new posts will go up until Monday 03/03/08 except for those related to MIKE!
If anybody needs someone to talk to or pray with about Mike's loss don't hesitate to call or write!
ATR - At-The-Risers
Freedom Machinery & Accessories / Chopped Out
Hell on Wheels MC
Petersen Automotive Museum
Small City Cycles
The Speed Age Blog!
Thursday, February 28, 2008
I'll have to say I was stumbled by Dan's pre-unit when I first saw pictures of it. Chromed frame, scoops, and a minimalist schwinn-style seat all make this bike a winner; that and the fact that its back from the grave and out on the road! (picture from JJ)
Such nice flowing lines! Paint and scoops by Scott Craig! Read all about it in the current DiCE issue! (picture from JJ)
Dan's bike seen on the highway before undergoing paint and molding but still looking very nice! Riding to Paso Robles with Dean. (picture from JJ)
I sure don't know the story on this bike but its super cool nonetheless and from way back in the day! (from old JJ post)
David Mann's Panhead from 1964 (http://www.weaselsusa.org/tomspics.html)
Dave Man's panhead from 1965! (courtesy of A. Cobbs)
Dave Mann and panhead with CCE dish pans. (from David Mann website)
Tom Fugle's panhead from 1964! (courtesy of A. Cobbs)
Fugle's bike in 1964 again! (courtesy of A. Cobbs)
Fugle's bike as drawn by David Mann from (http://www.artsceneiowa.com/artscene-DAVID-MANN.html)
Nice pre-unit mild custom from an old black & white photograph found on Ebay!
Another nice mild custom pre-unit from 1957 photo. (listed on Ebay)
Cool old chopper postcard from Ebay!
I think I saw the ribbed / pleated seats in an old 60s motorcycle magazine selling for $29.95. Its crazy what they're selling for nowadays on Ebay! How about that red & white p-pad? So cool!
Mufflers, mirrors, and saddlebags; not to mention the best leathers from back in the day in my opinion. Bates of California definitely made some cool cycle supplies!
60s Bates garment tag. I love the script letters and racing flags on tag!
Rider with killer bates racing vest from the 1950s! Check out that cool racing script under the Bates logo!(from Heros HD book)
The back of an old ABC Leathers jacket I used to own and wear while riding my 1956 T-110 Triumph. Bates bought ABC Leathers in the late 60s.
Cool picture from a Bates photo ad in a mid 60s Cycle Guide magazine. Thats interesting how the girl has a leopard collar on her jacket. I've never seen that before on a Bates! Interesting!
Cool twin engine triumph pre-unit drag bike from Mullin's Chaindrive website!
The "Parasite" Daytona Drag bike with estimated top speed of 150 mph from a JJ Post! Check out the smallest peanut tank in the world along with some of the best flared trumpet tips I've ever seen!
Obviously not a twin engine bike but this magazine from ebay caught my eye. Night drags and a Vincent drag bike on the cover from September 1956! I'm going to have to find a copy of this issue!
Double your pleasure and double your fun with a twin engine dragster run! (60s Cycle World Mag)
Wednesday, February 27, 2008
How's the large "Support Your Local Hell's Angels" sticker on Bo's tank. Album is from 1974!
Check out the sherrif's badge being used as his gas cap. Nice touch!
Revillos "Motor Bike Beat" 7-inch. Nice Royal Enfield chop on this cool cover! Great song as well!
Though this article boasts three triumphs, the third is a bone stocker and is not so interesting. This beauty however is ruling with the square U-shaped Flanders risers, Q-racing cams, and the nice sea-flamed tank. I think Scott Craig must have used this bike as a template when he painted the tangerine triumph Yoshi now owns.
Scott's old tangerine triumph for tank comparison. Picture from old Greasy Kulture website.
A very nice 1954 rigid triumph! This was a one year only bike with alternator option I believe and a special primary cover, as seen here! Cool minimalist tank and long angled racing cones as well!
Great looking panhead from a late 60s Cycle Guide article. I really like how the Indian Chief girder looks on this bike!
More angles from same article!
Here's a couple pages from a Choppers frame customizing manual dated 1969. (photos from Manxtt's Ebay listing)
This bike is so cool with the rare Award Cycle finned timing cover, the oxygen bottle oil bag, the contoured seat, and the sectioned tank. This has to be one of my top five favorite pre-units of all time. Article came from Gabe's old Roth Chopper Mag from the early 70s.
I love the pipes on this panhead as it appears to be one upsweep and one shotgun with an angle to it. Very cool! This photo and the one below were posted by Nikki on Choppers and Punk Rock a while back.
The chromed tank is super cool as well as the low stance. Check out the current issue of DiCE magazine for the complete story!
Shot of the finished version from DiCE magazine. Picture from Max Schaaf's site, http://www.4qconditioning.blogspot.com
I don't know anything about this bike but this shot was from a 1953 Motorama brochure posted on Jockey Journal a while ago.
Picture of the same bike with different paintjob from an Ebay listing.
The Lil' Pam triumph was most likely running this rare T-100 race kit. Picture comes from a JJ post.
Here's a better look at the kit from a late 50s / early 60s Triumph Replacement Parts manual!
- ► 2017 (62)
- ► 2016 (248)
- ► 2015 (121)
- ► 2014 (242)
- ► 2013 (75)
- ► 2012 (96)
- ► 2011 (327)
- ► 2010 (568)
- ► 2009 (482)
- The Loss of a Friend & Genuine "Nice Guy"! - Mike ...
- Dan's Preunit - Rebirth of a Show Stopper!
- Old Photos!
- Bates Leathers & Accessories (of Long Beach, CA)
- A Perfect Pair!
- Triumph Twin Engine Drag Bikes
- Perfectly Proportioned Pre-unit
- Barris Book Pre-unit
- Album Covers
- Rod & Custom - August 1960
- Chopped Charley Panhead w/ Indian Chief Girder
- Richard Munn's "Cherry Machine"
- Swedish Joker's Panhead Before & After Paint
- Lil' Pam Triumph Preunit Salt Flats Racer
- J. Edwards "Dream Helmet"
- Cinderella Cart!
- Frank Scalora's Incredible "Roman Holiday" Trike
- The Mooncricket - Now Just a Memory! (GNR 2007)
- HCS Cool Generator Shovel (from GNR Show 2008)
- Dean's Sporty w/ Scott Craig Paint (from GNR Show ...
- Injun Sport Scout Racer (from HD & Indian Wars Boo...
- Pre-unit w/ Award Cycle Finned Timing Cover (from ...
- Triumph Pre-unit Mild Custom (from Primer National...
- Japanese Paradise Road Show Triumph, Soo Perfect!!...
- 1968 Revell "Triumphant Trike" Model Kit Box Photo...
- Crazy Dude w/ Side Hack (Late 60s Cycle Guide)
- Gangreen Trike w/ Stretched I-Beam Springer (70s C...
- Crazy 45 Trike (late 60s Roth's Choppers Magazine)...
- Knucklehead w/ Stroked Motor (from early 60s Hot R...
- Triumph Pre-unit Overhead Cam Salts Flat Racer (60...
- Triumph Single Engine Drag Bikes
- Gabe Griffin's - Hang'em High Panhead
- Swingarm Triumph Built by Gary Littlejohn (from 70...
- Gordon the Goat's Triumph
- Ron Finch - The Master
- Biker Flick Photo Stills & Posters
- Vern's Reversed Head Triumph (Best Triumph Ever Bu...
- Panhead w/ Clovered Exhaust!
- 1960s Harley 1/25 Show Bike Model Kit
- Harley Hillclimbers
- Jason Jessee Shreading! (Thrasher Mag, Jan 1989)
- Trick Trike (from late 60s Cycle Guide)
- Roth 1967-1968 Choppers Magazine (The Outlaw Patch...
- Late 50s / Early 60s Triumph T-shirt
- Mike Vill's Trumpet
- Triumph Finned Timing Cover
- Mark Anthony's Harley 45 Flatty
- Triangle Headlights - Three Versions
- WR Racers
- Barris Kustom's Little Deuce Coupe
- Max's Shovelhead - The Panoramic View!
- Mr. Skinny Knucklehead!
- Henry's Knucklehead!
- Reach for the Sky Seat! (Bob Ludvigson's Primo Pan...
- Reach for the Sky Pipes - INSANE!
- Gary Littlejohn's Panhead
- Job's Berserker Panhead
- Louie Lopez's 1946 Triumph Show Bike (Early 60s Ca...
- Larry Howard of Award Cycle's "Glittercycle" (1962...
- Original Durfee Girder's T-shirt from Early 1970s ...
- Surfer Birds & Roth's Surfite (from Mid 60s Custom...
- Batman's Girlfriend? (from mid 60s Customs Illustr...
- "Lil Tramp" Triumph Pre-unit Drag Bike (from Mid 6...
- "Little Miss Calculation" (from Mid 60s Customs Il...
- Triumph Rigid Show Bike (Mid 60s Customs Illustrat...
- Nice Swingarm Triumph Custom (from Mid 60s Cycle W...
- Triumph Rigid Drag Bike (from 1961 Motorcyclist Ma...
- My Favorite Servi-car / Trike (from 60s Cycle Guid...
- 1934 Harley Speedway Bike - RAD (from Classic 1903...
- Swedish Master Joakim K's Knuckle w/ Lucite V-Stac...
- Dean Lanza's "Quicksilver" - Perfect in Every Way
- John Edward's Immaculate Panhead Right After Paint...
- Mark's Panhead in an Early Version w/ Springer, Co...
- Mike Davis' Original Finned Timing Cover vs. Stock...
- Al Chioda's Upsweeps on His Knucklehead
- "Mr. Untouchable" Triumph Drag Bike & Al Chioda's ...
- Al Chioda of Chicago Cycle Supply's Knuckle
- Dennis Scott's "Pipe Dream" Triumph Pre-unit
- 1969 Roth Choppers Magazine Ad
- The Alphabet Man
- ▼ February (81)
Nostalgia's Weekly Favorites
This is some pretty handy information from the Lightning Red Wing Book 2!
It's safe to say I'm a huge fan of WWII USN deck jackets. Though they're not very practical for wear unless its very cold out ...
Furnished as both USN issue and civilian these Mackinaw Barnstormer jackets were pre WWII. This amazing civil...
1 POSTER - $135.00 / EA 2 POSTERS - $125.00 / EA 3 POSTERS - $120.00 / EA 4 POSTERS - $115.00 / EA 5 POSTERS - $105.00 / EA SOLD PO...
This knucklehead is absolutely flawless winner. Check out Jason's spectacular creation at Street Chopper HERE !
Here's another amazing creation by Mark Drews which graced the pages of the May 2012 issue of Street Chopper Magazine. The hand-poli...
Both of these photos came from a late 60s Men's Magazine article on the Hells Angels.